Four accounting records the Tax Admin Act and Income Tax Act require you to keep

43984, 26 Aug. 2014

Tags: accounting records, taa, ita, tax admin act, income tax act

Are you one of those business owners who think keeping accounting records isn’t necessary?
If so, you’re wrong.

The Tax Admin Act (TAA) and Income Tax Act (ITA) require you to keep four important accounting records.
If you don’t comply, you’ll face serious penalties.

Don’t take that risk.

Read on to discover the four accounting records you must keep in terms of the TAA and ITA.

Keep these four accounting records, says the Tax Admin Act and Income Tax Act

The TAA and ITA are both very clear that you must keep these four records for five years from the date you submit your return:

Accounting record: #1: Remuneration paid to employees.

Accounting record #2: Tax deducted from employees’ gross remuneration.

Accounting record #3: The Skills Development Levy (SDL) and Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) contributions you made for each employee.

SDL is a levy you, as an employer, pay to develop learning in South Africa. You pay 1% of your employee’s salary per month as SDL.
UIF, on the other hand, is a fund that employees have the right to claim from if they become unemployed. It only applies to permanent employees and excludes:
  • Employees who work less than 24-hours per month per employer;
  • Learners;
  • Foreign workers on a contract in South Africa; or
  • Workers who only earn commission.
Accounting record #4: Income tax numbers of each employee.
You need to ensure your records include:
  • Personal details of your employees; and
  • Financial details of each employee (i.e. banking details).
And the good news is you can keep these records in electronic format. So you really have no excuse not to comply with the TAA and ITA when it comes to keeping these four accounting records.

Related articles:




RSS Facebook Share the experience
Accounting and Tax

  • Accounting
  • Allowances and deductions
  • Audit/Assessment
  • Capital gains tax
  • Dividends
  • Donations Tax
  • Exports and imports
  • Fringe benefits
  • Input tax
  • Provisional tax
  • Sars
  • Tax basics
  • Tax invoices
  • Tax returns
  • Vat basics
  • Vat registrations
  • Vat return
Premium Services
  • Company Registration
  • Objections
  • PAYE
  • Trusts
  • Turnover Tax
  • UIF
  • Wear and Tear
how to get my tax number online[read more]
Published on 16 Feb. 2018 1 answer
Need some help on correcting payslips taken over from outsourced payroll person. As soon as the company pays ANYTHING...[read more]
Published on 06 Feb. 2018 1 answer
Dear Sir, Please advise the CGT calculation in the following scenario: Close corporation with one member purchased...[read more]
Published on 18 Jan. 2018 1 answer
Video Archive Video club

Your library of Free eReports
View full library
SARS Tax Tables 2016/2017 Download

Simply click download for your FREE SARS Tax Tables 2016/2017 to ensure you calculate your tax correctly.