Use these six tips to effectively manage your financial budget
43984, 22 Oct. 2014
Tags: budgets, budgeting, financial budget
A financial budget is a useful tool that helps you plan for the future, stay in control of costs and make better financial and business decisions.
It’s basically a forecast of revenues and expenditures. It forces you to think about all the factors that could affect the profit or loss you’ll eventually make. This, in turn, allows you to decide well in advance what steps to take to ensure your business is always profitable.
To help you get the most from your financial budget, we recommend you use these six tips to effectively manage it.
Six tips to effectively manage your financial budget
Tip 1: Start with a template so you don’t have to reinvent the wheel every time. A template will also help you make sure you don’t leave anything out.
Tip 2: Be realistic. As much as you want your business to grow, setting unrealistic expectations will severely blur your view of the future of your business.
Tip 3: Learn from prior experience and build it into your financial budget: If you know from prior experience that machines break down at the most inconvenient times, build in some money for emergency repairs.
Tip 4: Prepare for emergencies. Machines break down, suppliers deliver late, etc. Your budget must prepare you for these conditions and the costs that go with them.
Tip 5: Stay motivated. There are going to be times when you fall behind your budget or lose interest for other reasons. When this happens, remember why you did the budget in the first place and keep going.
Tip 6: Look at your budget often and react and revise if necessary. In business, conditions change, prices increase, etc. If you base your budget on assumptions and later on, you find these were wrong, adjust your expectations.
Using these six tips will help you effectively manage your financial budget in your quest to ensure your business is always profitable.
- » Five out of seven small businesses close in the first year. Avoid these four budgeting mistakes or your company could be next
- » Two budgeting extremes that could land your company in financial disaster
- » There are two types of production budgets â€“ find out which one is best for your business
- » Follow these three steps when you create your financial budget
- » Our accounting experts recommend you use a financial budget in your business â€“ hereâ€™s why
- » Follow these seven steps to complete your cash flow forecast
- » Three points you need to know about the Companies Act to avoid a R1 million government fine
- » Implement these seven internal controls to prevent inventory fraud
- » If your cashflow budget is no longer applicable, rework your strategy using these five tips
- » Four good reasons why you need a cash flow budget in your business