Seven legal expenses you’re actually allowed to deduct

43984, 03 Nov. 2014

Tags: sars, deductions

A deduction is an amount SARS lets you deduct from your taxable income. This is usually the actual expense you’ve incurred and you can use it to reduce your taxable income in the year you incur it or over the period it applies to.
The good news is, you can deduct certain legal expenses you incur in the production of income.
Keep reading to discover the seven legal expenses you can deduct so you won’t make the mistake of deducting the wrong ones and inviting SARS penalties.
Good news: You can deduct these seven legal expenses
In terms of tax law, you can deduct:
  1. Fees for the services of legal practitioners;
  1. Expenses you incur while you obtain evidence or expert advice;
  1. Court fees;
  1. Witness fees and expenses;
  1. Taxing fees;
  1. The fees and expenses of sheriffs or messengers of the court; and
  1. Other litigation expenses that are of similar nature to any of the fees and expenses mentioned.
To avoid the wrath of SARS, always make sure the deduction is limited to the amount of the legal expenses that:
  • Isn’t capital in nature;
  • You don't incur for any claim made against you for the payment of damages or compensation; and
  • You don’t incur the expense for any claim you make for the payment to you for any amount that doesn’t constitute income in your hands.
Remember, if you deduct the wrong expenses or claim too many incorrect expenses, SARS will refund you incorrectly and you could face a criminal record.
Don’t take any costly risks.
Now that you know the seven legal expenses you’re allowed to deduct, never deduct the wrong ones.

Related articles:




RSS Facebook Share the experience
Accounting and Tax

  • Accounting
  • Allowances and deductions
  • Audit/Assessment
  • Capital gains tax
  • Dividends
  • Donations Tax
  • Exports and imports
  • Fringe benefits
  • Input tax
  • Provisional tax
  • Sars
  • Tax basics
  • Tax invoices
  • Tax returns
  • Vat basics
  • Vat registrations
  • Vat return
Premium Services
  • Company Registration
  • Objections
  • PAYE
  • Trusts
  • Turnover Tax
  • UIF
  • Wear and Tear
how to get my tax number online[read more]
Published on 16 Feb. 2018 1 answer
Need some help on correcting payslips taken over from outsourced payroll person. As soon as the company pays ANYTHING...[read more]
Published on 06 Feb. 2018 1 answer
Dear Sir, Please advise the CGT calculation in the following scenario: Close corporation with one member purchased...[read more]
Published on 18 Jan. 2018 1 answer
Video Archive Video club

Your library of Free eReports
View full library
SARS Tax Tables 2016/2017 Download

Simply click download for your FREE SARS Tax Tables 2016/2017 to ensure you calculate your tax correctly.