Have you used the correct IRP5 codes for deductions relating to medical aid contributions?

Accounting And Tax Club, 11 Jul. 2013

Tags: irp5 codes, irp5 codes for deductions relating to medical aid contributions, medical aid contributions, sars, irp5 codes on employees’ tax certificates, irp5 source codes 2013

Last years’ changes to the way you treat medical aid contributions on your payroll came with the introduction of new source codes. It’s crucial you check the source codes you’ve used on your employees’ tax certificates are correct on your employees’ IRP5 forms. Find out what the new IRP5 codes are so you can comply.

“SARS has made some changes to the existing source codes for deductions relating to medical aid contributions paid by the employer,” says the Practical Tax Loose Leaf Service.

So make sure you use the correct IRP5 codes on your employees’ tax certificates. Remember, SARS has systems in place that screens your IRP5s to make sure they’re accurate.

+++New change for your Tax return:+++

Find out how to calculate your medical tax deductions correctly

There are now two ways to reduce your tax through medical expenses. Find out how to make sure you get the new medical tax deductions and medical credits correct on your tax return.


Revealed: The new IRP5 codes for medical aid contributions

#1: Deduction code 4474 - Contributions you pay as an employer on behalf of an employee 65 years and older and who hasn’t retired, should also be reflected under this code.
#2: Deduction code 4493 - Use this code for medical aid contributions for an employee who qualifies for the ‘no value’ provisions.

#4: Employees’ tax deduction and reason code 4116 - Use this code for medical scheme fees tax credit taken into account by you (employer) for PAYE purposes.
#5: Fringe benefit code 3815 (3865) - Use this code for non-taxable bursaries and scholarships to employees and their dependents.

In addition, SARS has re-activated source codes that it had previously deactivated. So you can start using these again.

#6: Normal income codes 3603 (3653) - Use this code for pension (PAYE).
#7: Normal income codes 3610 (3660) - Use this code for annuity from a Retirement Annuity Fund (PAYE)
#8: Fringe benefit codes 3805 (3855) - Use this code for accommodation (PAYE)
#9: Fringe benefit codes- 3806 (3856) - Use this code for services (PAYE)
#10: Fringe benefit codes- 3808 (3858) - Use this code for employee’s debt (PAYE)
#11: Fringe benefit codes- 3809 (3859) - Use this code for taxable bursaries or scholarships (PAYE).

Remember to use the codes in brackets for Foreign Service Income.

Ensure you apply these new IRP5 codes correctly when dealing with deductions relating to medical aid contributions to avoid penalties.

+++ SARS has been keeping a secret from the South African public+++

This secret can save you hundreds, even thousands, of rands in tax savings. This secret is so powerful, tax consultants use it to complete multiple tax returns in less than a few hours. And today, we’ll show you how you can do the same!
The number one tax secret SARS and every personal tax consultant don’t want you to know is revealed here.



Related articles:



mandy 2013-07-19 12:59:43

good day i just want to find out the irp5 i need a pricelist for 7 people monthly payments and yearly payments amount if you could please help me
warm regards
mandy nelson


RSS Facebook Share the experience
Accounting and Tax Club.co.za
  • Accommodation
  • Accountant
  • Accounting
  • Allowances and deductions
  • Audit/Assessment
  • Bookkeeper
  • Budget Speech 2014
  • Budget Speech 2015
  • Capital gains tax
  • Company cars
  • Depreciation
  • Dividends
  • Donations Tax
  • Employee taxes
  • Employment Tax Incentive Act
  • Exports and imports
  • Financial Manager
  • Fringe benefits
  • Input tax
  • IT14SD form
  • Medical expenses
  • MOI
  • Provisional tax
  • Sars
  • Tax basics
  • Tax invoices
  • Tax returns
  • Travel allowances
  • Vat basics
  • Vat refunds
  • Vat registrations
  • Vat return
Premium Services
  • Company Registration
  • PAYE
  • Trusts
  • Turnover Tax
  • UIF
  • Wear and Tear
Hello, What are zero-rated goods?[read more]
Published on 25 Jun. 2015 1 answer
Hi, I issued an tax invoice and paid Vat. But the debt has gone bad and I have to write it off. Can I claim back...[read more]
Published on 24 Jun. 2015 1 answer
I had the following question from a client and need some guidance: Please note, I’ve just landed a contract to work...[read more]
Published on 27 May. 2015 1 answer
Hi, I am a new business owner and with the tax season approaching I wanted to ask how I can claim input tax on my...[read more]
Published on 27 May. 2015 1 answer
Are the following methods of advertising allowed as deductions for income tax purposes: #Product...[read more]
Published on 28 May. 2015 2 answers
we were granted a compromise up to 2014/09 and the account is now clean. we had already drawn an IRP5 for 2014 but the...[read more]
Published on 04 Jun. 2015 2 answers
Video Archive Video club


10,000 South African Finance experts choose the Tax Bulletin

Sign up today and get your FREE 2015/2016 Tax Tables report.