Fulfill these three SARS requirements when self-invoicing

Simangele Mzizi, Fsp Business, 20 Oct. 2014

Tags: vat, input tax, self-invoicing

Can’t claim your input tax from SARS because your supplier didn’t issue you with a tax invoice?

There’s no need to panic.

Experts behind the Practical Vat Loose Leaf Service say you can create your own. This is called self-invoicing.

This is when you, as a registered Vat vendor, issue tax invoices, credit and debit notes yourself so you can claim input tax. When you do this, you don’t have to wait for your supplier to issue an invoice.

But you can’t just self-invoice as you wish.

You must fulfill three SARS requirements when self-invoicing. Read on to find out what they are so you stick to them, avoid SARS penalties and claim your input tax.

********* Product endorsement **********
235 remedies for your Vat aches and pains

Put an end to the pain of:

  • Vat registration headaches,
  • apportionment nightmares,
  • agonising invoices,
  • zero-rating stings
  • and the hurt of Vat penalties

With the Vat health tips that experts are calling “revolutionary”. End your suffering today, and save thousands on specialists’ bills!



Before we look at the requirements, let’s look at when it’s appropriate to self-invoice

You can self-invoice when you, the recipient:
  • Determine the amount payable for the supply of the goods or services; and
  • Are in control of determining the quantity or quality of the supply, or are responsible for measuring or testing the goods sold by the supplier.
Now look at the requirements you must meet…

If you want to self-invoice, make sure you meet these three SARS requirements

Requirement 1: You must be a Vat vendor;
Requirement 2: You must have proof of the supplier’s Vat registration number; and
Requirement 3: You must have an agreement with the supplier that he won’t issue a tax invoice, credit or debit note for any taxable supply to which the approval applies.
Now that you know about these requirements, stick to them so you can avoid penalties, and most importantly claim your input tax back.
PS: To find out about the requirements for an actual invoice, check out the Practical Vat Loose Leaf Service. It also gives you the tips, tools and advice to comply with the Vat Act.

Related articles:




RSS Facebook Share the experience
Accounting and Tax Club.co.za

  • Accounting
  • Allowances and deductions
  • Audit/Assessment
  • Capital gains tax
  • Dividends
  • Donations Tax
  • Exports and imports
  • Fringe benefits
  • Input tax
  • Provisional tax
  • Sars
  • Tax basics
  • Tax invoices
  • Tax returns
  • Vat basics
  • Vat registrations
  • Vat return
Premium Services
  • Company Registration
  • Objections
  • PAYE
  • Trusts
  • Turnover Tax
  • UIF
  • Wear and Tear
how to get my tax number online[read more]
Published on 16 Feb. 2018 1 answer
Need some help on correcting payslips taken over from outsourced payroll person. As soon as the company pays ANYTHING...[read more]
Published on 06 Feb. 2018 1 answer
Dear Sir, Please advise the CGT calculation in the following scenario: Close corporation with one member purchased...[read more]
Published on 18 Jan. 2018 1 answer
Video Archive Video club

Your library of Free eReports
View full library
SARS Tax Tables 2016/2017 Download

Simply click download for your FREE SARS Tax Tables 2016/2017 to ensure you calculate your tax correctly.