Great news: If you or your staff travel overseas for business, these countries let you claim refunds on the Vat you’ve paid

43984, 01 Sep. 2014

Tags: vat, vat refunds

SARS isn’t the only place you can claim a Vat refund. You can claim it internationally as well.
If you or your staff members travel overseas for your Vat-registered business, some countries let you claim refunds on the Vat you’ve paid.
Read on to discover the countries that’ll allow you to claim international Vat so you can boost your company’s cash flow.
Here are the countries that’ll allow you to claim Vat refund on travel
Countries that offer a Vat refund are as follows:
  • Austria;
  • Australia;
  • Belgium;
  • Denmark;
  • Finland;
  • France;
  • Ireland;
  • Japan;
  • Luxembourg;
  • Netherlands;
  • Norway;
  • Poland;
  • South Korea;
  • Sweden; and
  • United Kingdom.
Now that you know the countries that let you claim refunds, let’s take a look at what you must do next
When you’re sure the country you’ve travelled to is one that offers a Vat refund, you must find out if your expense qualifies for a refund. Some of the expenses that qualify include:
  • Car rental;
  • Taxi fare;
  • Public transportation (train, aeroplane and bus fares);
  • Conference costs; and
  • Seminar fees.
The last thing you must do is to attach all the necessary documents to your refund application. Some of the documents you must attach are:
  • The original tax invoices; and
  • A certificate of status that proves you’re a Vat-registered vendor in South Africa.
Because of the language barriers, it’s advisable to look into hiring a Vat refund agent to do the work for you.
Here’s the bottom line: If you or your staff travel overseas for business, the countries we’ve mentioned above let you claim refunds on the Vat you’ve paid. So go on and boost your company’s cash flow if you or your staff travel overseas for business.

Related articles:




RSS Facebook Share the experience
Accounting and Tax

  • Accounting
  • Allowances and deductions
  • Audit/Assessment
  • Capital gains tax
  • Dividends
  • Donations Tax
  • Exports and imports
  • Fringe benefits
  • Input tax
  • Provisional tax
  • Sars
  • Tax basics
  • Tax invoices
  • Tax returns
  • Vat basics
  • Vat registrations
  • Vat return
Premium Services
  • Company Registration
  • Objections
  • PAYE
  • Trusts
  • Turnover Tax
  • UIF
  • Wear and Tear
Our experts
KC Rottok
Vongai Mumbula Mark Samowitz Henk Heymans Oliver Chanyau Kallie Van Der Merwe Andre van Staden
how to get my tax number online[read more]
Published on 16 Feb. 2018 1 answer
Need some help on correcting payslips taken over from outsourced payroll person. As soon as the company pays ANYTHING...[read more]
Published on 06 Feb. 2018 1 answer
Dear Sir, Please advise the CGT calculation in the following scenario: Close corporation with one member purchased...[read more]
Published on 18 Jan. 2018 1 answer
Video Archive Video club

Your library of Free eReports
View full library
SARS Tax Tables 2016/2017 Download

Simply click download for your FREE SARS Tax Tables 2016/2017 to ensure you calculate your tax correctly.